Basic and Applied Science
The Department of Basic and Applied Science encompasses different fields related to basic sciences such as Physics, Chemistry, Microbiology, Biochemistry, Mathematics, Statistics, and Computer Science. The functional areas of the department include; Food Safety and Quality, Food, and Human Nutrition, Chemical Aspects of Foods, Application of Physics in Food Processing, Food Testing (Microbiological and Chemical), and Mathematical Modelling in Food Processing.
The Functional Areas of the Department include:
Food Safety and Quality.
Chemistry of Food Products.
Biochemistry & Biochemical Reactions in Food Components.
Evaluation of Microbial Parameters in Food Products.
Evaluation of Physical & Chemical Parameters in Food Products.
Advanced Instrumental Analytical Techniques for Food Analysis.
Application of Physics for Food Analysis.
Referral Food Testing Labs as Microbiologists.
Quality Assurance in Food Industry.
Research & Development in Food and Feed Industry.
Food Safety Officers.
Basic and Applied Science Department is a leading resource for food safety and quality knowledge, research, innovation and management in the world ensuring safe and high quality of food for everyone.
Our mission is to provide relevant, knowledgeable, critical education, training and perform world class research in food safety and quality that values nutritional, healthier, safer, tastier and sustainable food for everyone. We aim to:
- Develop relevant knowledgeable critical thinkers contributing to the food sector through global leadership, service and lifelong learning.
- Perform world class impactful, innovative basic and applied research in food safety and quality and assist government in policy making and food regulations.
- Provide solution to drive food security, safety, quality to improve health of nation and global.
- Evolve entrepreneurs that can lead in the food sector in order to contribute to the sustainability of the food system
- Support program that provide growth of food industries leading to great positive community impact.
- Collaborate in scientific discipline with national and international universities, public and private institution, and different stakeholders
- Provide concise and clear communication of scientific information and adhere to professional ethics.